Back in 1998, I set up a simple guest book function on Bowers.com so people could post mesages to it on their own. The system went through some rough times due to kids posting improper messages and SPAM. Eventually I took the feature off-line in June 2001.
The current site requires people to create an account and verify their e-mail address before being able to post. Hopefully this time, I will be able to allow folks to post their own messages without having to police them as much anymore...
Now that the new system is up, I have taken the old messages from the prior Guest Book and posted them in here for people to read and search through.
These are the entries from the old Guest Book in 2000:
- Happy New Year
Lic, NY, USA - Friday, December 29, 2000, 9:46 PM (EDT)
- I'm looking for information on my great-grandfather, Leon Bowers, and further back generations. Leon was last seen near the turn of the century (1900, that is), in New Hampshire. He had at least two children, Richard Stewart Bowers, Sr. and Larry Bowers. Richard S. Bowers, Sr. had three children (Jean, Richard Jr., and Larry). Richard Jr has three children - Richard III (Me), Raymond, and Dwight. Anyway, if anyone knows of Leon's family history, let me know.
Fairfax, VA, USA - Thursday, December 28, 2000 at 10:02 PM (EDT)
- Looking for Frederick Co MD Bowers clan. Frederick,Jonathan,Eli David, Luther Ward. I'd be glad to share info.
Boyertown, PA, USA - Thursday, December 28, 2000 at 4:56 PM (EDT)
- Hi! I was born a Bowers - I'm trying to do a bit of family history stuff - any UK Bowers's welcome to contact me.
Loughborough, UK - Thursday, December 28, 2000 at 7:48 AM (EDT)
- Wow, I had no idea there was so many Bowers in the world, came across this great site when I was hunting for information on Lieutenant Bowers who perished with Captain Scott in the Antarctica. My grandmothers maiden name was Bowers and she married a Withell which is my maiden name. All I know is that Lt. Bowers came from England and in photos he looks so much like my Withell cousins, I have always been led to believe we are related but don't know how, would welcome any information.
Taranaki, New Zealand - Monday, December 25, 2000 at 9:33 PM (EDT)
- Looking for my folksto pass along to the next generation of Bowers
Albert E. Bowers
St. Louis, MO, USA - Sunday, December 17, 2000 at 01:15 AM (EDT)
- Brian Bowers, From Albuquerque NM. Mother Joyce Bowers (Gary) Father Jack Lee Bowers. One brother James W. Bowers. All Still in NM. Married to Hilery Bowers. 2 kids Kayla J. (12) and Thomas M. (4) Relocated to Las Vegas Summer of 2000. Life long in NM until then. Great Site. Garnparents somewhere in S.C. William or Bill and wife Gennie? Anyone know me?
Brian L. Bowers
Las Vegas, NV, USA - Wednesday, December 13, 2000 at 7:38 PM (EDT)
- My Bowers line is from Connecticut. y tu?
James Scott Bowers
Russellville, AR, USA - Sunday, December 10, 2000 at 11:28 PM (EDT)
- Greetings to all Bowers' across the world, and particularly those in the region of West Yorkshire! We are a proud bunch!
Manchester, UK - Sunday, December 10, 2000 at 11:41 AM (EDT)
- Just checking out the website!
Boston, MA, USA - Thursday, Dec 7, 2000 at 12:40 PM (EDT)
- Looking for family backround. Father comes from Runnemede, NJ. His grandfather was the first mayor of Runnemede. Father faught in WWII at the "battle of the bulge" and received a purple heart. That's all I know about my heritage.
Alexander L. Bowers,Jr
Sandy Hook, CT, USA - Monday, December 4, 2000, 9:10 PM (EDT)
- I was just wondering if anybody out there has any information about the origin of the Bowers name. I have heard that it is German, but I am still unsure. I was also wondering if anyone knows what our family crest is. Feel free to e-mail me.
Steve Allen Bowers
Astoria, Oregon, USA - Sunday, December 3, 2000 at 9:40 PM (EDT)
- I'm not sure if I am related to any of you or not, but I just happened to find your website.
Steve Allen Bowers
Astoria, Oregon, USA - Friday, Dec 1, 2000 at 2:49 AM (EDT)
- We are trying to find the family of Professor Bowers (Prof of Law) of Ohio, USA. He married Anna Rees. Anna's father was John Rees, born after 1860 in South Wales, GB. Anna's Grandparents were Henry & Sarah (nee Davies) Rees. Prof Bowers and Anna had two children, Laura and John. We do understand that American descendants of Henry and Sarah Rees have visited their grave in Trelech, South Wales in the past. Any help would be appreciated.
Northampton, England, UK - Sunday, December 3, 2000 at 6:38 PM (EDT)
- Never knew there was such a site?
Eau Claire, WI, USA - Wednesday, November 29, 2000, 7:57 PM (EDT)
- Interested in finding out any interesting history of the Bowers in Virginia or West Virginia.
Churchville, VA, USA - Saturday, November 25, 2000 at 10:05 AM (EDT)
- Hi! I married into the Bowers' family and found out that my husband's dad who died in 1970 did not leave us much info at all about himself. His name was Harry Thomas Bowers and he was born November 19th, 1902. We believe he was born in Texas and then came up here from Oklahoma. If this sounds familiar to anyone out there, PLEASE e-mail us. We have kids we would like to pass info on to. Thank you for your help.
Fairbanks, Alaska, USA - Sunday, November 19, 2000 at 3:16 AM (EDT)
- Just found your page while looking for the bowers museum in california....my ancestors are from voglers cove in nova scotia and i moved to puerto rico about 25 years ago.
San Juan, PR, USA - Thursday, November 16, 2000 at 5:42 AM (EDT)
- Wow,wow,wow. Just can't believe how many of us there are, greetings and love to you all. I'm trying to trace my father, Rodney, who I've not seen since I was 5 (32 years ago), last I heard he emmigrated to Australia. I know it's a long shot but any info would be fantastic. Peace to the whole tribe, Mark.
Brighton, Sussex, England - Tuesday, November 14, 2000 at 7:16 PM (EDT)
- My grandfather is Jefferson Troy Bowers (born 12/14/04) son of James Jefferson Bowers of Tennessee. James Jefferson had a brother that settled in South Carolina and another brother in Ohio. I am looking for anyone that may know about this branch of the Bowers family tree.
Jacksonville, FL, USA - Sunday, November 12, 2000 at 9:14 PM (EDT)
- Thought it was cool to see my last name up as a web page!
Jeri N. Bowers
Cincinnati, OH, USA - Sunday, November 12, 2000 at 9:05 PM (EDT)
- Father James Howard Bowers, grandfather Hunter Bowers, gg John A. Bowers b10 april 1870 d jul 31 1914 married Angeline "Tid" Deloach , gg Isaac "Murry" Bowers b 28 may 1850 Tenn. married Matilda Campbell, ggg Rev. John Leonard Bowers married Mary Cannon, gggg John Teter Bowers b 1792 war of 1812 vet. married Mary Lincohn Stover, ggggg Rev. Leonard Bowers b 1760 Md. d 1840 Revolutionary war vet. married Rebecca Nave 1769-1849 . Thats all I have got.
Rick K. Bowers
Jonesboro, TN, USA - Monday, November 6, 2000 at 8:10 PM (EDT)
- Just looking to see what you had.
Dolgeville, NY, USA - Sunday, November 5, 2000 at 10:18 PM (EDT)
- My father's name was Benton McMillen Bowers Junior married to Mary Catherine Bowers; his father was Benton McMillen Bowers married to Jeanettie Irene Rudd; his father was Fielding K. Bowers. That as far as I can go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Parker, CO, USA - Saturday, November 4, 2000 at 3:05 PM (EDT)
- Hi.....from another Bowers. Couldn't pass up the chance of having a peak at what should have been my web site......only joking Makes you wonder how many of us are out there. Best wishes. Bob
Mitcham Surrey, England - Saturday, November 4, 2000 at 12:23 PM (EDT)
- My mother's maiden name was "Bowers". Her parents were Wiliam Bowers (Born approx 1868) and Martha Ann (Miller) Bowers (Born approx 1872). Mom stated that Martha Ann's father was a "preacher". My mother had two other siblings. My mother's name was Maudie Bowers (1904). Her siblings were Lillie May (Bowers) Yager (1895) and Jessie (Bowers) Findeiss (Approx 1897). For years, my mother had wished she could locate her mother Martha Ann (Miller) Bowers, but had never had a clue as to where she might be - alive or dead. My mother was evidently taken from her parents when she was 9 yrs old and admitted to an "orphanage" in Peoria IL. That would have been about 1913. I would appreciate hearing from you - especially if any of the Bowers or Miller names sound familiar.
Martha A (Maus) Siebenthal
Peoria, IL, USA - Thursday, November 2, 2000 at 11:09 PM (EDT)
- Check out all of the Bowers people!
Dr. Jason G. Bowers
Voorhees, NJ, USA - Thursday, November 2, 2000 at 6:59 PM (EDT)
- Looking for your great deals on dr. martens boots
Wallingford, CT, USA - Friday, October 27, 2000 at 2:03 PM (EDT)
- Western Pennsylvania has quite a few of us!
Pittsburgh, PA, USA - Friday, October 27, 2000 at 10:07 AM (EDT)
- Just checking the Bowers site. I'm from the Singleton Bowers/Paulina Edwards union; White County, Il. Great site, didn't realize there was so many of us.
Susie Bowers Forbes
St. Elmo, IL, USA - Thursday, October 26, 2000 at 3:59 PM (EDT)
- I was just surfing around and decided to pull up the Bowers name to see what came up. Nice site. Had no idea there were that many with the same last name. My parents Charles Leroy Bowers and Luna Marie Crownover were from Oklahoma. Most of my relatives are from Oklahoma. I don't know that much about the family history. My fathers brother, Ed Bowers, lived in Arkansas most of his life and their sister Faye (Travis) Bowers has lived in the Fort Worth area most of her life. I have two sisters, Sandi and Vickie Sue, and one brother, Gary. From what I know, most of my fathers family came from Missouri to Oklahoma in the early 1900's and were farmers.
Roy A. Bowers
Houston, TX, USA - Monday, October 23, 2000 at 7:48 PM (EDT)
- My g grandfather was Henry F. Bowers, his father was James C. Bowers who moved to AL from Clay County, NC after 1880. He and his family is on the 1880 Clay County, NC census. His father was Thomas Bowers (1860 census). Any information would be appreciated. I also didn't realize that there were so many Bowers'. Would love to hear from anyone that might be kin. Thank you.
Trion, GA, USA - Saturday, October 21, 2000 at 9:40 PM (EDT)
- Looking for other Bowers from the Maryland area locatd in or around Taneytown, Thurmont, Emmitsburg, Westminster or Frederick.
Diane Lynn Bowers
Thurmont, MD, USA - Tuesday, October 17, 2000 at 12:43 PM (EDT)
- Please visit my web page on my part of the Bowers tree at myfamily.com I am still working on it but if you have any information concerning the parents and/or siblings of Thomas Jefferson Bowers born January 12, 1842 plese let me know @ email@example.com Thanx.
Fairview, OK, USA - Saturday, October 9, 2000 at 4:31 PM (EDT)
- Looking for the person who wrote the follow passage here: "... of Lancaster. Richard was married to Ruth Deutrich (not sure of spelling) and they had ... Hi, I'm another Bowers!!! My ancestors come from Suffolk , UK, and I have ..." Thanks!
Herndon, VA, USA - Friday, October 8, 2000 at 10:27 PM (EDT)
- I have no idea if our relations match.
Michael S Bowers
Syracuse, NY, USA - Friday, October 6, 2000 at 8:14 AM (EDT)
- Just starting to trace my roots! Any help would be greatly appreciated! I was born & raised in Springfield, Ohio. My father is Richard Frank Bowers & my grandfather was Frank Bowers, both of Springfield, Ohio.
Christopher A. Bowers
Enon, OH, USA - Thursday, October 5, 2000 at 12:40 PM (EDT)
- To think that some of us could be related ... hi cousins! Up to now I have always believed the Bowers side of my family to be extinct. Well heres what I know: my father Clifford Bowers was born around 1915 and emigrated with my grandfather to South Africa sometime before WorldWarII from Chicago. My grandfather was killed by a lion (I kid you not!!) around 1920. Thats it. Thats all I know. I will try to get more history and post it here later.
Durban, Natal, South Africa - Wednesday, October 4, 2000 at 4:47 PM (EDT)
- I am looking for any information on the parents of Thomas Jefferson Bowers born in the 1840's. If you have any information please e-mail me it would be gretly appreciated!!
Fairview, OK, USA - Tuesday, October 3, 2000 at 2:45 PM (EDT)
- I have to say I'm impressed. I did not realise or even imagine that there would be Bowers' all over the world. I will have to make sure I check this out again sometime. If there are any Bowers in the Staffordshire area who don't know me mail me and let me know. Cheers
Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, England - Monday, October 2, 2000 at 11:51 PM (EDT)
- My in-laws immigrated to Australia from Yorkshire England in December 1970.
Deception Bay, Queensland, Australia - Sunday, October 1, 2000 at 2:13 AM (EDT)
- Great Site! My mother was a Bowers and it's a great family! We are from Springfield, Ohio (Clark County). My great grandfather was Fred (Fritz) Bowers. He died in 1964. If anyone from that region wants to share information, please feel free to contact me! :)
Leigh Ann Shelpman
Louisville, KY, USA - Saturday, September 30, 2000 at 9:46 PM (EDT)
- Doing my bit to keep the family name going, now living in Sheffield and three additions in four years: Harry, Lily & Alfie
Alan Bowers of Salford now Sheffield
Sheffield, Yorkshire, England - Thursday, September 28, 2000 at 4:11 PM (EDT)
- Does anyone know about a diary written by Ethel Bowers of the Alleghany/Ashe Co., NC area? My mother had an aunt that married into the Bowers family. Some names of note: Clifton Bowers, Robert Bowers. The diary may mention the Sizemore, Osborne, Combs, Stamper, Pruitt, Bowers, Mabe families, plus others. Would love to find someone with a copy of this. The diary was listed as a source for info on Sizemore family in the Alleghany Co., NC Heritage book. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Ray Gryder, II
14205 Bermuda Point Ct.
Chester, VA 23836
Ray Gryder, II
Chester, VA, USA - Thursday, September 28, 2000 at 11:37 PM (EDT)
- I' looking for any information concerning the Bowers family before 1850. Thank You
Fairview, Oklahoma, USA - Wednesday, September 27, 2000 at 2:00 PM (EDT)
- Didn't know there were so many "Bowers" scattered all over the world. A very interesting site.
Bradford, West Yorkshire, UK - Monday, September 25, 2000 at 7:52 PM (EDT)
- My family tree of Bowers' is as follows: me! > My father, Ernest William BOWERS (1916-1970) > His parents, Cora Belle (GREEN) BOWERS and Roy Cleggett BOWERS (1887-1953) > Sarah Margaret (HINES) BOWERS and Samuel Cleggett (or Claggett) BOWERS (1861-1928) > Martha BORNE and George BOWERS I'm anxious to chat with anyone who can fit into this line. My ggrandfather had brothers Charles and Frank and sisters Anna, Kate, Elizabeth and Margaret. My grandfather had brothers Harvey I and Lester C and sisters Lola, Sylvia, Hallie, Cora and Carrie.
Williamsport, MD, USA - Saturday, September 23, 2000 at 6:45 PM (EDT)
- I married into the 'Bowers' clan :) I didn't realise the surname was quite common. I should have kept my maiden name of Babbs! LOL! Just kidding! This is really interesting. I haven't visited genealogical pages before but now I'm really interested. I'll bookmark this page and check out my great surname! Thanks! Chris
Hong Kong, Hong Kong - Saturday, September 23, 2000 at 1:15 AM (EDT)
- I'M from newfoundland,canada and moved to B.C. I was looking to find where the name Bowers came from,and came upon this site. This is unreal the amount of people out there with the same name Bowers.If any body could help me with this search it would make me very happy. I have 1 sister,1 half brother (last name starks). I hope to hear from some of the Bowers out there.
Port Hardy, B.C., Canada - Friday, September 22, 2000 at 12:02 PM (EDT)
- Hi there from downunder the home of the 2000 olympics! Nice to know that the name is on the web.english/scottish or french heritage? Whats your view?
Sydney, NSW, Australia - Thursday, September 21, 2000 at 5:53 PM (EDT)
- I am looking for my family history. I have only been able to trace it back to my grandfather. He was Paul Bowers from Hopkinton, Iowa. This was on my fathers side.
Alan F. Bowers
Independence, Iowa, USA - Wednesday, September 20, 2000 at 5:07 PM (EDT)
- Gary Maitland Bowers
Blackburn, Lancashire, England - Saturday, September 16, 2000 at 8:55 PM (EDT)
- Very good site. It's interesting to note that there are Bowers' from Huddersfield and Bradford near Halifax. We're probably related.
Halifax, Yorkshire, United Kingdom - Saturday, September 16, 2000 at 4:51 PM (EDT)
- Hi, my biological birthname was Bowers. I was born 3/21/51 in the Town of Union (Johnson City), NY. My birthmother was 31 years old, and unmarried at the time of my birth, supposedly originally came from Massachusetts, but don't know if that is true or not. She had 4 children prior to me. I don't know if the other children were put up for adoption, or just me. I don't know if the other children even know about me, don't know if we all even had the same birthfather. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone. If so, please e-mail me. Thanks!!
Albany, NY, USA - Monday, September 11, 2000 at 9:00 AM (EDT)
- Haley Bowers
Rainbow City, Alabama, USA - Thursday, September 7, 2000 at 6:50 PM (EDT)
- God i neva knew how Bowers's there r. Cool. Long live the Bowers
Sydney, NSW, Australia - Thursday, September 7, 2000 at 1:21 AM (EDT)
- Hey everyone, just signing in to represent an irish wing of the Bowers line. My family have lived in roughly the same area in rural Ireland (Co. Westmeath) for over 300 years. I found this site by accident. . Any information regarding the Bowers' settlement in Ireland around the turn of the 18th century and later would be much appreciated. Cheers..
Dublin, Ireland - Wednesday, September 6, 2000 at 10:11 AM (EDT)
- Looking for info on my Grandfather, Wilbur Bowers, he was the son of John Bower/Bowers. My grandfather has passed away and so have his two sisters so please if you have any info let me know. My grandfather married Mary Catherine Wickline and together they had 6 children (5 boys, 1 Girl). They are from the Ohio and West Virginia areas.
Lake City, FL, USA - Monday, September 4, 2000 at 9:04 PM (EDT)
- Hey this is Cecil Reeder or Frankie Reeder brother. Tell Frankie i said Hi! Is your parent's still living down from my mother.
Houston, Texas, USA - Monday, September 4, 2000 at 10:00 PM (EDT)
- Just thought I'd try & see if there were other Bowers out there. My dad side of my family (Bowers' side) is huge. I don't even know how huge. My grandpa's name was Ray Bowers, & I have an Uncle Ray Bowers (jr.)
Lea M Bowers
Everett, WA, USA - Monday, September 4, 2000 at 6:26 AM (EDT)
- An African-American descendent! (Fort Worth, Texas) The son of Thomas Daniel Bowers & Elva Mae Bowers. Seeking the location of my siblings, Thomas D. Bowers, Frederick Alphonso Bowers, and Jesse Marion Means, and my half sisters. Please contact me so that I may establish lineage to pass on to my children! My Father originally came from Teague, Texas. A hats off to the webmaster for his/her original idea!
"Do not dwell on the past, but do retain it"
"For what you learn from the past creates your future!
Philip Reginald Bowers
Oceanside, CA, USA - Saturday, September 2, 2000 at 11:51 AM (EDT)
- Looking for kin to Pose or Nannie Bowers Lick Run Virgina late 1800s Nannie married Jacob Richard Bishop. Thanks, Riley
Springfield, MO, USA - Wednesday, August 30, 2000 at 5:58 PM (EDT)
- My part of the Bowers family tree seems to wind it's way back to the state of Maine. I have portraits and a clock from the early 1700's attributed to Josiah Bowers. Anybody with Maine roots, please E-mail me.
David R. Bowers
Los Altos Hills, California, USA - Monday, August 28, 2000 at 06:36 PM (EDT)
- I have to say ... ANDREW BOWERS or ANDY BOWERS or DREW BOWERS or whatever is the best Bowers related name. Ah thankyou. Is there anyone from the UK who knows my Dad James Bowers?? I am sure he has a cousin called John Bowers ... any Bowers' wanna email then do it pleez.
Newcastle, England - Monday, August 28, 2000 at 11:31 AM (EDT)
- My maiden name is Bowers. I am happy to see a website with so may Bowers descendents of all forms. My Father's name is John and Grandfather's name is Frederick. John is from New York and Grandpa was from who knows where. I'm not sure of the lineage. If this looks familiar to you--send me an e-mail!
West Babylon, NY, USA - Sunday, August 27, 2000 at 10:45 AM (EDT)
- New e-mail Address!
Tucker, GA, USA - Thursday, August 24, 2000 at 9:08 PM (EDT)
- Please e-mail me if anybody in the UK are called Bowers.
Leicester, United Kingdom - Thursday, August 17, 2000 at 10:39 AM (EDT)
- I just wanted to know if you folks know of any 'Bowers' in South Africa. I know very little about my grandfather since my father is or was an orphan, and can't recall much of his past not even a name. My father's name is Mario Antonio Bowers, and has an older brother Kenneth Bowers, who both reside in the Western Cape (South Africa). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa - Sunday, August 13, 2000 at 5:38 PM (EDT)
- Top site!! Keep up the good work! (I didn't think there would be a place on the web with the same name as my surname!!!)
Belfast, Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland - Friday, August 11, 2000 at 10:07 AM (EDT)
- Cool site, any Arkansas Bowers out there?
Cincinnati, OH, USA- Tuesday, August 8, 2000 at 6:34 AM (EDT)
- Good day people, Just wondering if anybody has come across a Willie Frank Bowers Jnr from down around Florida way. He would be in his early 70s and I'm not sure if he is still alive, in 1945 he served in England in a transport regiment and returned to America in 1947 or 48. Thanks.
Perth, Western Australia, Australia - Tuesday, July 15, 2000 at 10:45 AM (EDT)
- Hello all you Bowers'. I'm Cyrus Bowers from Selkirk, NY. As far as I know, I'm the only Cyrus currently in the US. I'm happy to call you all family,... maybe some of you are shirt tail relations, but family nonetheless. Real nice to find this site. I'm a School Bus Dispatcher at a local school district and I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses. My family line is from the NY, VT areas. I wish you all the best.
Selkirk, NY, USA - Friday, July 12, 2000 at 6:26 PM (EDT)
- Well I'm not a Bower but I thought I'd say hellow anyway. Have a happy day :)
Auckland, New Zealand - Tuesday, July 4, 2000 at 7:00 AM (EDT)
- Just interested in George Bowers who came to New England area in the 1630ths.
Dolgeville, NY, USA - Friday, June 30, 2000 at 10:49 PM (EDT)
- Hi to all the Bowers from the branch of the family in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the Peoples Republic of China!!
Hong Kong, China - Sunday, June 18, 2000 at 12:18 AM (EDT)
- I am descended from Henry Bower born c1685 in Leek, Staffordshire, England and Hannah Hammersley born 28 Sept 1687. I have looked on your site to see if there is any connection but there does not appear to be. Please contact me if anyone recognises the above information.
North Yorkshire, England - Sunday, June 11, 2000 at 8:0 AM (EDT)
- I was looking to find the Bowers family crest, any help, please contact me at my email address. Thanx
Marietta, PA, USA - Thursday, June 8, 2000 at 10:34 PM (EDT)
- My father was J T Bowers of Fairfax, South Carolina and had a sister named Louise Bowers and a brother Wilbur. He married Dorothy W. Jones. JT was born in l903 and Dorothy in l904. They had five children, Mary Drucilla, JT Bowers Jr., William Urbin. Clarence Murray and Dorothy Wayne. Sure have enjoyed this Bowers Homepage---What a wonderful idea.
Dorothy Wayne Bowers Sewell
Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, USA - Thursday, June 8, 2000 at 7:44 PM (EDT)
- Here's an update from my previous entries: My grandmother was Lillian not Helen.......I believe Helen was her sister. Good to see more Bowers' on this site....would love to hear from anyone out there...email me...Thanks.....cliff
Clifford Arthur Bowers
Euclid (suburban Cleveland), Ohio, USA - Wednesday, May 31, 2000 at 1:12 PM (EDT)
- HI! My side of the Bowers family hails from Whiteville, North Carolina. I work in the film industry here in Hollywood. My great-grandfather was James Samuel Bowers who built many bridges in NC and owned Bowers Construction. The Boy Scouts are very important to our family. I am an Eagle Scout, and so are my two brothers, my father, and his brother. There is a Boy Scout camp near Cape Fear named after my grandfather. My uncle Vinson wrote a book on the history of our family (sometime around 1977, I think). I believe he traced our ancestry back to Andrew Bauer who came to America from Germany.
Hollywood, CA USA - Saturday, May 13, 2000 at 14:54 PM (EDT)
- hello from the old country ,good to see so many bowers out there.be happy
andrew robert bowers
felixstowe, suffolk england - Saturday, May 12, 2000 at 12:16 PM (EDT)
- No comment left.
Robert S. bowers
Olathe, KS USA - Wednesday, May 10, 2000 at 1:11 PM (EDT)
- WOW...I just signed the guestbook about 20 minutes ago but had to add a few comments....This is a great thing to have and all the Bowers'...I can't believe it. Now I have to give a little update to my previous comments earlier today. My grandfather-James Arthur was born and raised on the near Westside in the city of Cleveland...he married Helen, i think...bad memory..they had 3 sons, Russell Warren, Harlan Arthur (my dad) and James Arthur...they all lived in Lakewood, Ohio until the boys were all married and then my grandparents moved to suburban Westlake, Ohio (1950)..My grandparents lived there until their deaths...she in 1979 and he in 1980 (nov)...Russell died in 1992 or 93, Harlan in 1986 and James in 1994 or early 1995. James and his 2nd wife, Fran lived in Albuquerque, NM for many many years,, Both died out there...His first wife Arlene lived her whole life in Euclid, OH, even after they were divorced...Arlene and Jims kids, Connie, Beth live out west I think and Jimmy lives in Ohio still.....By the way Arlene passed away about 2 months ago in Euclid. I think my grandmother, Helen's last name was Bishop, of the Bishop and Babcox Company, years ago they made scales or elevators ?????? Her family was from the Pittsburg area I think,,,she was named after her Aunt Helen, I believe.....It all gets pretty confusing as I don't have alot of the intimate details.......But would love to have other Bowers folks email me if they think there is a link somewhere......My grandfather has a brother, Warren somehere in Ohio, I think....don't know if he is still alive though.....One of our relatives either a Bowers or Bishop or Steinmetz was a college professor at Harvard, I think...some relative of my grandmothers....So, I will keep checking this great site to see if any other info comes my way....or just email me........THANKS!!!!!!!
clifford a bowers
euclid (suburban cleveland), ohio USA - Tuesday, May 9, 2000 at 1:12 PM (EDT)
- I was born 4-4-1948-father was Harlan Arthur-Grandfather was James Arthur-Uncles were Russell W, James Arthur..all born in Cleveland, OH..all deceased..small family here..always looking for relations...I met a Bowers, possibly Chris(male) while in the Air Force-met him at Lackland AFB in San Antonio, TX in 1967-think he was from Maine or around that part of the country.......Email me if you think we are related or who knows?????????? always looking!!!!! Would love to put together some sort of family tree, somehow..... thanks for the interest everyone...hope to hear from you!
clifford a bowers
euclid (suburban cleveland), ohio USA - Tuesday, May 9, 2000 at 12:36 PM (EDT)
- just hunting around for info on my family tree was shocked to find different info on different bowers famillies thanks
tanilba bay, new south wales Australia - Friday, May 05, 2000 at 2:01 AM (EDT)
- New email
Sarah J. Bowers
Marietta, PA USA - Wednesday, May 03, 2000 at 8:02 PM (EDT)
- Just found this site. It's great. I am descended from George Bowers who came to the Mass colony in the 1630th. Have my family line from then till now. They spent abpout a hundred years in each of the following locations, Mass, Morristown N.J., Addison co. Vermont. Crown Point N.Y. I have some info on the family in all of these areas. Love this siter and keep up the good work.
Dolgeville, NY USA - Monday, April 24, 2000 at 3:12 AM (EDT)
- My name is Sarah Jean Bowers, I was born 01/23/80. My father, Jay Patrick Bowers, was born 12/06/56, and is married to Nancy Hornig Bowers. His father, the late Richard James Bowers, was born in the 1920's, and was married to Ruth Marion Doutrich Bowers, they had three children. His father was Charles Franklin Bowers, assumably born in the late 1800's, married to Anna Conrad Bowers. All of these people lived in Lancaster County, PA at one point in their lives. I would like any information about any of these people; I can't find anything further back then Charles and Anna. Hopefully I can trace back to England; I think that is where we came from.
Sarah J. Bowers
Marietta, PA USA - Sunday, April 23, 2000 at 11:46 PM (EDT)
- Hello! Happy to know that my name has some pride behind it. All my life I met maybe two other people who had it! I am the daughter of Jay Patrick Bowers of Columbia who is the son of the late Richard James Bowers of Lancaster. Richard was married to Ruth Deutrich (not sure of spelling)and they had two children besides my father, Gary and Brenda. I don't have a very large family and may or may not be a descendent of any one of you...I don't know much about the family at all. If anyone has information about the Bowers family from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, it would be appreciated.
Sarah J. Bowers
Marietta, PA USA - Friday, April 21, 2000 at 11:38 PM (EDT)
- I'm looking for Lee Bowers, a designer, - formerly of Los Angeles, CA - last known address in Kansas City, Kansas
Boca Raton, FL USA - Tuesday, April 11, 2000 at 09:45 PM (EDT)
- please contact me if you have any info on bowers from thomastown county kilkenny in southern ireland thanks.
london, uk - Tuesday, April 11, 2000 at 01:28 PM (EDT)
- Really liked the family photo
Camden, SC USA - Friday, April 07, 2000 at 07:08 PM (EDT)
- I like this place because its my last name
williams, C.A. USA - Friday, April 07, 2000 at 02:28 PM (EDT)
- I have traced my family back to a Johan Jacob Bowers who was born in 1725, Came to America and married his wife Anna Baraba Lindeman in 1751. Having trouble getting past that, but this is encouraging.
Wayne E. Bowers
Travis AFB, Ca USA - Thursday, April 06, 2000 at 09:40 PM (EDT)
- My grandfather was Dale Bowers from Ionia, MI. My grandmother, Sara Chipman.
Douglas Dale Bowers
Grand Rapids, MI USA - Saturday, March 25, 2000 at 12:16 PM (EST)
- Just messing about with the computer and did not really expect to find a 'Bowers' homepage - nice one!
London, England - Friday, March 24, 2000 at 01:17 PM (EST)
- I just wanted to say what a great site this is. My great grandfather was Lewis Bowers, he married Ellie Sparks. We have always lived in Galax, Virginia. That's as far as I can go. Any more info, e-mail me.
Shelia (Bowers) Taylor
Galax, Virginia USA - Sunday, March 19, 2000 at 04:30 PM (EST)
- who knew there were so many Bowers'
shelia (bowers) taylor
galax, virginia USAcarroll - Saturday, March 18, 2000 at 09:00 PM (EST)
- Hello, I am looking for any info on John Peter Bower or Peter Bower that came from Germany in the mid 1700's to Penn. I would appreciate any information that I can get. Thank you
Marysville, Washington USA - Saturday, March 18, 2000 at 04:45 PM (EST)
- Hi, I'm another Bowers!!! My ancestors come from Suffolk , UK, and I have records of lots of other Bowers in Suffolk prior to 20th century.
devon, UK - Saturday, March 18, 2000 at 02:01 PM (EST)
- i still think bowers rule!! have traced my bower(s) family back to 1698 in england. however, i need to come forward to see if i have any cousins from the ones that did not make the trip over or came later. huddersfield to chester,pa.!!
Pine Hill, NJ USA - Friday, March 17, 2000 at 01:26 AM (EST)
- Just checking up on other Bowers in the world
Brisbane, QLD Australia - Thursday, March 16, 2000 at 07:47 AM (EST)
- Glad I found your page. Us Bowers need to hang together. At this point I'll adopt a family because mine seem to be out of sight. Looking for Joel Bower b. 1806 in N.Y. married Amy Anthony about 1826 in Oh. She was b.abt.1808 in Oh. They lived in Cincinnati, Hamilton Co. Oh. and had Isaiah, Isaac,Joel,jr, Martha Ann,Henrietta Augusta, Mary Catherine,Jerremiah and Margaret Elizabeth. They moved to Delaware, Ripley Co., In.where Amy died and Joel married Mary Wood in 1852. she was born in N.Y. They had Electra, Mercy A.,James, Amity, Francis E. and George A. Joel and Amy both died at Delaware Ripley Co., In. and are buried there in unmarked graves. It is not known at this time where Mary died or is buried. If any sounds like someone on your list, please feel free to e-mail me. Wanda M. Roberts firstname.lastname@example.org
Wanda M.Young Roberts
Batesville, In USA - Monday, March 13, 2000 at 01:50 PM (EST)
- Thank you Ray for this site! Researching any Bowers' or anyone related to Bowers' from Wilkes County North Carolina. I am just beginning my search into my ancestors. Anyone with possible information on John Tyra Bowers (born late 1800's), Alfred Patrick Bowers (born late 1800's), V eldon Bowers (born early 1900's, died in 1941) William Bowers from Wilkes County NC please email me. I would love to discuss possible branches in my family tree.
Traphill, North Carolina USA - Monday, March 06, 2000 at 02:21 AM (EST)
- Hi! Am trying to locate any information about my grandfather Thomas Bowers. He was born in Belfast, Ireland around 1870 and came to the states when he was about 17. He first came to OH and eventually settled in WV. He had brothers who went west and we know nothing about them. If you have any information, we sure would appreciate.
Chester, WV USA - Tuesday, February 29, 2000 at 01:20 PM (EST)
- my g father was ray . bowers born in calistoga ca. if you have any link to him e-mail ne under g father at e-mail address above....
ray albert bowers
Springlake, NC USA - Sunday, February 27, 2000 at 10:53 PM (EST)
- Is anyone reading this related to John William Bowers, wife Martha California Brown? I am still searching for relatives on my father's side. His name was John Alvin. His family originally came from South Carolina. At least that's as far back as I ha ve traced. My gggggrandfather was David Bowers, died 1796 in Edgefield Co., S.C.
Sue Bowers Campbell
Denison, Texas USA - Saturday, February 26, 2000 at 01:59 PM (EST)
- Hello to the Bowers' families throughout the the world
David Roger Bowers
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire England - Friday, February 25, 2000 at 07:54 AM (EST)
- BOWERS' ROCK! I'm originally from Shelbyville Indiana. Was born and raised there. My father's name was George, his father's name was Ernest. And I'm relatively (no pun intended) sure that my Grandad's fathere's name was Alonzo and his mother's name was Bertha. Those were probably real cool names back in the late 1800's. I believe we are in the Irish descention of Bowers'. None of the current family really knows for sure. Seems like I heard my grandad say we originated in Ireland. I know from Ernest, who had the nickname "Red" because of his hair. Another Irish trait? My father George and I all grew up in or around Shelby County. I've also got three Bowers' uncles. Steve, Paul and Kenneth (also nicknamed "Chick") I've got numereous Bowers' cousins an d would love to hear from other Bowers' folks. The Bowers' family in the Shelby County, Indiana is quite large so I know there's got to be someone out there that knows who we are and where we came from. Any information would be appreciated. Peace be with you all Bowers'.
Fredrick Ernest Bowers
Longview, Tx USA - Thursday, February 24, 2000 at 08:49 PM (EST)
- Hi, how's it goin'?
Rockford, USA - Wednesday, February 23, 2000 at 02:31 PM (EST)
- Didn't realize you were in Alexandria, Va. My father, Ray (not Raymond) Bowers lives there too. Check out his tennis articles on the website www.tennisserver.com.
Englewood, CO USA - Wednesday, February 23, 2000 at 10:35 AM (EST)
- Good Idea for a web page
Norman L. Bowers
Englewood, CO USA - Wednesday, February 23, 2000 at 10:11 AM (EST)
- Who ever mentioned a relation to Katherine Altstetter, would you e-mail me, the Altstetters are trying to find out more about her.
Slippery Rock, PA USA - Wednesday, February 23, 2000 at 09:11 AM (EST)
- Wow im a Bowers too. I wonder if i am related to any of these people. I did not know Bowers was such a common name!
Gregory C. Bowers Jr.
Kennewick , Washington USA - Wednesday, February 23, 2000 at 01:32 AM (EST)
- Looking for info on my materal grandmother's family
Slippery Rock, PA USA - Tuesday, February 22, 2000 at 10:10 AM (EST)
- Hi. I'm looking for my biological mother, Carol Bowers. She would be in her sixties now. I would really appreciate any information on Carol Bowers. Thank you very much.
State College, PA USA - Friday, February 18, 2000 at 06:58 PM (EST)
- Thinking about tracing my roots and just checked out this page.
Lititz, PA USA - Monday, February 14, 2000 at 09:24 PM (EST)
- I am wondering if anyone out there knows a Cecil Bowers. He is from the cleveland area and goes by the name Sonny. He is an old family friend with whom we have lost touch.
flagstaff, az USA - Sunday, February 13, 2000 at 02:33 AM (EST)
- I am wondering if anyone out there knows a Cecil Bowers. I believe he is from the cleveland area. He is an old family friend with whom we have lost touch.
flagstaff, az USA - Sunday, February 13, 2000 at 02:31 AM (EST)
- My name is John Bowers. I came to California in 1951 at the age of 2 and lived here ever since. I was born in Russellville, Ark. My dad was John Hardy Bowers (known by most people as Hardy) and was born in Dover, Ark, about nine miles north of Russellville (in Pope County). His dad was Isaac Foster Bowers (known as Foster). My line of Bowerses came to Arkansas from Tennessee and before that North Carolina (I think--might have been S.C.) sometime in the early 1800s. My great grandfather was Hardy Bowers, a Baptist preacher. His mother, I think, was Sadie Lorenzo Dow, or Sadie Dow Lorenzo (not sure). She was, I have heard, a "single mom" who never married (unusual in those days) and had kids by several men, raised each kid by its father's name. That is as far back as I can go. Any information about Sadie would be welcome (in particular the county where she lived, so I could access the county records for more information). Great to know we are so numerous!
Madera, ca USA - Saturday, February 12, 2000 at 09:21 PM (EST)
- Just checking out the page again,My father was Joel thomas, HIS FATHER WAS WESLEY EARL, ALL I KNOW IS THEY WERE FROM BARK RIVER, mI. bERGLAND, mI.
John W. Bower
st. joseph, mi USA - Friday, February 11, 2000 at 05:41 PM (EST)
- Just checking out the page again,My father was Joel thomas, HIS FATHER WAS WESLEY EARL, ALL I KNOW IS THEY WERE FROM BARK RIVER, mI. bERGLAND, mI.
John W. Bower
st. joseph, mi USA - Friday, February 11, 2000 at 05:41 PM (EST)
- Dear Mr. Bowers, I'm afraid you are wrong in saying that you cannot establish control in contact juggling with a tennis ball. I have been using a very worn tennis ball for about a year now, and can do about half the stuff on your videos. I am going to get an acryli c crystal ball for my birthday for greater control, but I think I will be learning any new tricks with the tennis ball.
goldenchickenland, Nowhere USA - Monday, February 07, 2000 at 03:13 PM (EST)
- Ray's Note: I did not say it could not be done -- I do it all of the time. But learning contact juggling with a tennis ball is not what I would recommend. It is far easier for a beginner to learn with a heavier ball, and even for an advanced person, you will always have greater control over a heavier ball which does not bounce out of your hand.
Hi, My best friend's Diana Bowers and her father's family comes from England(Bowers). I was wondering if you were related?--Praseeda
Hong Kong, SAR China - Wednesday, February 02, 2000 at 10:29 PM (EST)
- I am just signing in. Have not viewed the page yet.
Lewis E. Bowers
Crestview, Fl USA - Wednesday, February 02, 2000 at 04:44 PM (EST)
- Hey thats my name!!